Friday, February 5, 2010

Tomato Seeds

Well, I am happy to say that I FINALLY started my tomato plants. EG, (I can't post comments at work) I live in zone 7 (formerly 6b which I wonder if we will go back to since the weather has kinda reversed) but last year I remember being able to buy tomato plants that were twice the size as the ones I started. So I assumed if you can start your squash plants in January (my neighbor did and had squash a month before me!), then I can start my tomato plants early.....except I didn't! >:( But I am happy to say I did. I stared 4 Ox Heart Tomato plants(has anyone ever heard of them? A friend of mine graced me with 2 from her son's garden and those things were HUGE! She said they were a very old kind of tomato and while they had very few seeds, I was able to save them), and 2 crookneck squash, and one winter squash. I am going to start my Porter Tomatoes (4), First Pick Tomato (5), and Giant Beefsteak Tomato (6) tonight. I didnt start them last night because I wasn't sure which ones I planed on starting and my spreadsheet was at work. LOL I was planning on starting cantaloupe, Israeli watermelon and Sugar Baby watermelon, and pumpkin, but kinda wondering about those. I am also going to plant broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower to see if they actually make it. My neighbor across the street planted his sometime in January. By March he had harvested all of his broccoli and he said he started them in January. Hmmmm I am going to try it at least. I have MUCHO seeds and thought, why not!

Thanks for your input guys. It means a lot :D

1 comment:

  1. I'm growing Giant Oxheart myself, and you're right - it is a very old tomato variety. The biggest reasons I wait to start my seeds, is because they have to be propagated in my shed, and small transplants adapt better than large ones when planted out.

    ReplyDelete